Saturday, December 22, 2012

'twas the week before Christmas

What a CRAZY week it's been. Last Friday night was my staff Christmas party and believe it or not, I was home pretty early. I was in bed by 10 and sometime overnight got hit REALLY hard with the flu. I slept for 34 hours straight. Didn't even see the kids until Sunday morning when I was forced to parent because Sam had a hockey tournament. It was awful. Clinging on to life I did my very best to mother the girls while Sam & his hockey team cleaned up that tourney & took home the gold! Way to go Novice C1. Sam even got MVP for one of the games....




As soon as they got home I went back to bed and didn't get out until the next afternoon when my neck & tonsils were in such excruciating pain a trip to emerg was inevitable. Herein commenceth the cold sore. Talk about kicking me while I'm down. As it turned out, I started with the flu then got strep throat & a cold sore. Take that immune system. Merry Christmas.

So onto antibiotics I went. Now I think I have a sinus infection because they must have been feeling left out. My right eye feels soooooo weird & tender as does my right brow bone. Tender to the touch. And bending down? Not possible without it feeling like rocks are going to shoot out from between my eyes. Welcome old man winter... or is it old man working in a daycare full of germs? Pass the vitamins please.

On Thursday morning I jumped ship for Montréal to go to the Salon des Métiers Arts with my mom & sister. It's so awesome. And the best part of this year... no kids! It was so nice to wander through the artisans without worrying about bored, restless children. I picked up some treats for my husband and some delicious teas for myself. Mmmmmmmmmm....


I just stayed the night because I had to get up & home for the kids' spectacle de Noel. Unfortunately, mother nature had other plans and threw a few obstacles in my path. One of them happened to be a mile marker...

Seriously? Ya. First major snow storm of the season. I left Montréal at 9am and horrible driving conditions & visibility aside, was making pretty good time. Then, somewhere around Long Sault I decided to pass a semi that was spewing slush & crap all over my windshield. Wrong. My tires caught some slush in a way that was disagreeable to them which resulted in a total spin out off the highway and the complete decapitation of a mile marker sign. Awesome. Let me tell you... it's times like these that you realize just how useful CAA can be if you're ever wondering why you're paying for something you rarely, if ever, use. It just takes one time to make it worth it. While on the phone with the dispatcher he informed me that due to the sign casualty the OPP needed to be informed before they could send a tow truck. So I called them. I guess I should be thankful that they didn't write me a ticket for the sign and the fact that I didn't have any registration or current proof of insurance. And the "careless driving" as they called it. Careless driving in a snow storm? Really? I should also probably be thankful that I'm alive and that there were no other cars involved. AND... I should be thankful that the cops let CAA pull me out because most ditched cars alongside the highway were just that... ditched. They weren't pulling anyone out because the weather was so bad. Although the passenger door was pretty chewed up from the sign my car was fine so that's probably why they ok'd it.... I didn't even have to try playing the kids' Christmas concert card. After a quick yank I was actually on my way again.



Yay! Needless to say I didn't try passing any more semis. And I made it in time for the concert. Phew.

After school Sam had a special hockey practice & holiday gathering. Olympic silver medalist Conlin McCabe from the men's rowing team joined them on the ice and brought his medal along so the kids could oooh and awe. And the parent's too.

How's that for the week before Christmas. Time to relax...

No comments:

Post a Comment