Thursday, January 26, 2012

Seriously?

Wednesday can be a busy evening of activities. We have swimming lessons at 6 and every so often Sam has hockey from 4-5. Yesterday was one of those every so oftens. It's a difficult night for 37 weeks of pregnancy. Thankfully I was only along for the ride. My husband was home to do all the dressing & undressing.

It just so happens that the way my husband's schedule of shift work has fallen that I've pretty much undertaken the role of hockey mom & am the one who most often brings Sam to his practices. Leave it to Sam to point out Papa's 'mistakes'. Doesn't every father want to hear "that's not how mommy does it"? Last night Sam said that Maman doesn't tie his skates that way... she doesn't put the skates near her "parties privées"... where does he come up with this stuff? I thought it was cute enough to share.

So back to the real reason I'm posting. Just when you think your evening is going smoothly...

Swimming finishes at 6:30 and we usually let the kids play in the wading pool while the change room rush clears out. Then the kids get into their jammies & off we go home for bedtime. Last night we needed to put gas in the car so we headed to the gas bar first. It could have been the huge bump my husband hit pulling in that knocked out the radio... it could have been something else... but after filling up, the car WOULD NOT start. Dead. Awesome.

We sat in the car for at least half an hour while my husband played with the battery & fuses trying to figure out what went wrong. The kids started to panic like we were trapped in the middle of nowhere... when we were actually walking distance from EVERYTHING. The Super Store... Mega Walmart... Boston Pizza... Starbucks. All they could think about was their bedtime snacks & how lonely monkey  mama were at home. End of the world. After we contacted, or tried to, everyone we know I finally called CAA. It was 7:50 and they told me they'd have a truck there by 8:45. Lovely. The windows were so fogged up and we just sat there. Bad on us to not have any booster cables in the car... but bad on EVERYONE else who came through the gas bar for not having any either. Talk about well prepared Canadians. We weren't even sure that it was the battery... because not all the power in the car died at once. It was a bit weird. At 8 o'clock I figured there was no point in all of us waiting in the car so I took the kids in their jammies & headed to Starbucks, where we had hot chocolate and a clear view of the dead car & my lonely husband waiting in the cold for the truck.

The truck arrived earlier than predicted. Thank god. We'd already been stranded for an hour +. The kids were excited to be out of the car, drinking hot chocolate & watching the events unfold. The truck pulled up to our car to give it a boost and of course, because the evening wouldn't be complete without a total gong show, the truck battery dies within 10 seconds of trying to boost our car. Really? That's like an ambulance crashing on its way to the scene of an accident.

Luckily at this point my husband's friend arrived to drive the kids & I home so I could at least get them to bed only a couple hours past bedtime. Soon after a new truck came & boosted some life back into the car. I guess it was the battery after all. Or so I hope. Although it started without issue this morning who knows what tricks are up its sleeve? Hood? Perhaps we should invest in some cables. Or a new car. Volvo for sale. Anyone?

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome. In the I'm glad it wasn't me sense of the word.

    ReplyDelete