Friday, November 11, 2011

Home Birth 101

So I'm starting to prepare the kids for what to expect when the baby comes. My midwife suggested that I give the kids the option to stay for the birth, all the while making sure that there is someone to take care of them if they choose to leave. No problem. When I asked them what they'd like to do they both agreed that they would like to stay. So... the next step was to show them videos of home water births (of which there are plenty on Youtube) so that they know what to expect.

I decided a couple of weeks ago that it would be a good time to show them a video. I searched on Youtube and found plenty of examples that I screened first for appropriateness. In the first one I watched the woman gave birth with a bit of moaning & groaning. I was like... seriously? I need a video of a woman moaning & screaming through childbirth not having an orgasm.

We sat down to watch a video, both kids excited. I pressed play and watched my kids take it all in. It wasn't a bad video... just realistic. They were both fully aware of where the baby 'comes out' so I knew there wouldn't be any questions about that. I told them that I would probably be making the same sort of sounds and that even though it hurts mommy it's okay... it's nothing to worry about. They seemed okay with that... but Sam quickly changed his mind about staying for the birth and asked "Can I go to Patrick's house?" Juliet's reaction, "I don't want to grow up".

It was a good start. I sort of figured that Sam would be un-interested in participating and that Juliet would be front & centre. Sam would rather be playing Wii. I've said before that as long as the Wii is on... I could be right beside him having the baby and he wouldn't even notice. If he want's to go to his buddy's house... that's fine with me.

I see my midwife in a couple of days. It's a PD day at school so the kids will be coming with me. I told them that they were going to get to meet the lady who will help me deliver the baby. "To who?" Sam asks. I guess 'deliver' is too literal a word for a 6 year old. I explained what I meant and he reiterated that he was going to Patrick's house. I asked Juliet if she was going to stay and help the lady 'catch' the baby. "Does she need help from little girls?" She asked. Of course she does.

So far so good. As it gets closer we'll talk more about it but I think it's going to be a great experience for all of us. I've asked my friend Ashley to come... or rather she asked me. My mom will probably be in town and I've asked my sister if she wanted to be here, so there will be no shortage of people to help with the kids. I'm really looking forward to it, as crazy as that seems.

2 comments:

  1. I don't want to grow up either!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! It's so amazing that you are doing this! And involving your kids is so admirable. If I'm ever a mom, I want to be a cool as you ;) Very excited for you Xx.

    ReplyDelete