Sunday, October 21, 2012

why hello strangers..

I can't believe it's been over a month since I last posted on here. Actually I can. Life is crazy. With Juliet on the pump & me starting work it's been a crazy whirlwind of ups & downs and it only really feels like we're getting the hang of it now, which is fabulous because who loves nothing more than finally settling into a routine and managing to get Juliet's sugars somewhat under control just in time for a change that will throw a wicked curveball at life as we know it? Me that's who. And what is that curveball you ask? My husband goes back to work in 3 weeks. And not back to a 9 to 5 job that would cater swimmingly to a smoothe transition into a new routine. No no no. Back into shift work that bumps us here and there and up the creek. That means I've got as much time to find daycare for Sofie and (hopefully) settle into a whole new routine. Oh how do I love change, let me count the ways. Zero. Totally not looking forward to this. So lets look back instead.

It's been a crazy past few weeks. October is Halloween month and so what little spare time I have has been devoted to costume prep etc. Since I started working at the daycare I've developed crafting fever and so along with costume prep I've been trying to do crafts with the kids. Here's what we've accomplished thus far...



For Halloween this year I am going to be Sally & my husband will be Jack from the Nightmare Before Christmas. That means I have to turn this..
 into a patchwork dress, and this..

into a wig. This is great because I don't really know how to sew let alone design a dress. It's a good thing it's supposed to look ragged. I've been working on it for a few weeks now and it is coming along. I'll have the final photos up as soon as it's done. I haven't even tackled Jack yet and the party is on the 27th. High five.

Juliet wanted to be a princess again but I didn't want her to wear the same dress as last year so I found a black puffy dress in my closet that I could easily transform into a "bad" or "evil" princess. She agreed and then went even further to decide on a vampire princess. It's going to be awesome. I painted her fairy wings black and covered them in spider webs. I got a cardboard cone that I am turning into a "princess" hat using black paint, black glitter & bat stickers. I'll have pictures of that soon too. Every boy from kindergarten to grade 6 is going as a ninja so Sam decided to be original and go as a ninja. Lol. I honestly don't really know what I will do for that but it shouldn't be too challenging.

So like I said I've been doing a lot of crafts with my little guys at school and I've been experimenting at home with ideas and doing crafts with Sam & Juliet too. I found this really cool melted crayon art project and decided I wanted to give it a try. Crayons melt a lot quicker with a hair dryer than you'd think...


Pretty cool eh? I didn't bring this idea to school in the end, at least not yet. But I did find this awesome pumpkin craft and we did make some cool pumpkins with the kids...



Love them. And so did the kids. At home I also turned one of our pumpkins into what I like to call a "Steampumpkin".

So those have been our pumpkin projects. We have yet to buy carving pumpkins... but may not even do any because there might not be anyone home on Halloween night. I guess it'll depend on what Sam & J want to do. So I guess we'll be carving pumkins...

I saw another cool craft that I knew I couldn't do with the kids at school so I did it with Sam & Juliet at home. They started by painting picture frames in Halloween colors and then glued googley eyes all over them. Then we embellished them with Halloween ribbon & a wooden Halloween decal.


 


I'll get pictures of them all dressed up to put in the frames. I love them!!

At school I've been doing some hand & footprint art with the kiddies too. They love how it tickles and it makes for some really cute art. Here's what I've done with the board at school... The older kids did the pumpkins & cats & my guys did the spiders & ghost footprints.
 On Friday we made Frankenstein magnets. They were awesome.

See what I mean when I say busy?? And that's not even all. Yesterday I made a wreath out of leaves that Sam, J & I gatherd from the ground. I had no idea what I was going to do but as it turns out, with a wire circle and a glue gun you can do wonders. It's hanging on our front door.
Ok. Done with the crafting segment. Moving on...

Sofie is officially crawling and has 2 bottom teeth. All of which have occured in the last week. Up until now she'd been rolling everywhere she wanted to go. Like ninja style. She'd roll right across the room if she wanted something on the other side. She's also got a fierce temper and an even fiercer appetite. Lol.
Before figuring out the crawling all she did was plank.

Core of steel.



No comments:

Post a Comment