Sunday, September 25, 2011

The Pretend Birthday


For the past 2 years we've had Sam's real birthday & his pretend birthday. His real birthday falls during the summer holidays and it's sometimes difficult to round up a group of his buddies so we celebrate with family in the summer & have another party with his friends once the school year starts. Yesterday was the 'pretend' birthday.


I decided on a reptile theme. I found a reptile guy to come to the house, filled loot bags with reptiles & candy, and made green jell-o and a mud pie complete with gummie worms for a cake.






We invited 10 of Sam's buddies and 7 made the event. That makes for 8, 6/7 yr old boys in my house, under my care, for 3 hours. It's no wonder that some of the moms told me I was brave & wished me luck as they drove off. Piece of cake. Last year I made the mistake of trying to structure a 3 hour party for 5 yr old boys... this time I opted for a free for all.






I hustled the boys one by one into the basement to play. That's all they want to do anyway... tear apart my basement. Boys are crazy. And loud. They amused themselves until the reptile guy was ready for the show. I don't know who was more excited... the kids, or my husband & I.


Although the noise level in the house was high above the norm, and there was running & shrieking on all 3 levels... the party was a success. No stress... no injuries... no snake bites.

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow! What a great birthday! You are so full of imagination - what a lovely inspiring family you have lady xoxo

    ReplyDelete