Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Adventures in Bicycling

We've picked up a new hobby... biking. My husband bought himself a bike a few months ago and said "now this is how we're getting to soccer this summer". And wouldn't you know! The kids & Papa have actually biked to every soccer practice. We have evolved, however. Or better yet, adapted. Juliet first started out in the chariot behind my husband's bike. She then graduated to actually riding her own bike which resulted in her being pushed by my husband most of the way. Most meaning all. We then got a bike attachment that trails behind my husband's bike so Juliet could be towed along. We attached the chariot to Juliet's "bike" for Sofie (see the peace train). We found Sam a sweet new bike on Kijiji cuz his bike was a tad on the small side and most recently I acquired my "everyday traveller" because my cruiser left me a good 5-7 minutes behind the family. It was either that or my husband was going to have to start pushing me.

The other day after soccer we went to the skate park, as per Sam's request, so he could show me his mad skills. It's a pretty awesome park.

oops.
After I got over my initial fear of Sam killing himself I was able to actually watch him go. My husband hopped on my cruiser because it's such a perfect skate park kinda bike. Or not...

Sam loves the park... maybe even enough for me to one day get him a trick bike so he could actually learn something.

So we've been biking all over the city. It's amazing how much you miss in the car. There is actually a bike path all throughout the city. You have to cross a lot of roads but it's otherwise pretty nice!
Not bad eh? We explored the whole thing yesterday on a 2 hour bike ride. It was great. Took us from uptown all the way to the river. Almost enough to kill me. Certainly enough to kill my ass. I think I'm going to put the cruiser's seat on my new bike. Oh and did I mention how much I love gears? Biking uphill is now a possibility and not a nightmare. AND... I was actually able to keep up with the fam. It was fun. Sofie loves the chariot & even sleeps in it so biking can run right through nap time...
... so long as my husband doesn't crash the chariot into the side of a bridge again. That kinda woke her up. Still, she didn't make a peep during our expedition yesterday. Fabulous! Oh... and look at the newest addition to the peace train...
Yep. A seat for dolly. Have we though of it all or what!


No comments:

Post a Comment